guix-devel

Re: Naming, hacking, and policies

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Naming, hacking, and policies
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 02:07:47 +0200

Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
sirgazil <address@hidden> skribis:
Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting to translate "system names", but have both
"system names" and "pretty names", and only the latter would be
internationalized :)

But even that is not really feasible: often there’s no “pretty name”, sometimes there’s one that’s not translatable (“GNU grep”? “Scribus”?).

Translation doesn't *mandate* mangling. The French name for GNU grep is presumably just GNU grep, not la greppe GNU.

And if an upstream name isn't ‘pretty’ (which is why I don't like this subjective term and prefer DISPLAY-NAME or what even ever), we can just omit it & display its NAME everywhere, no?

Kind regards,

T G-R