guix-devel

Re: Naming, hacking, and policies

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Naming, hacking, and policies
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 17:59:13 -0500

El 31/03/19 a las 3:31 p. m., Ludovic Courtès escribió:
sirgazil <address@hidden> skribis:

El 31/03/19 a las 11:37 a. m., Ludovic Courtès escribió:
Hi sirgazil,

sirgazil <address@hidden> skribis:

I don't know exactly what should be done in Guix, though, but I think
having a "system name" and a "pretty name" that is translatable could
help a little bit.

It’s a tricky topic indeed (and not specific to Guix).

There are i18n and accessibility (a11n) issues, I agree.  The problem is
that those “system names” are essentially identifiers, pretty much like
Unix command names.  Sometimes they’re abbreviations of common English
names, sometimes they’re proper names, etc.  So not all of them are
subject to translation.  I think they should really be treated like
identifiers in programming languages or command names.

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting to translate "system names", but have both
"system names" and "pretty names", and only the latter would be
internationalized :)

But even that is not really feasible: often there’s no “pretty name”,
sometimes there’s one that’s not translatable (“GNU grep”?  “Scribus”?).

Hmm, true.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/