guix-devel

Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 21:28:28 +0200

Hello Jan,

Jan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
> It seems Jami package is outdated and unmaintained, so I would like to
> become a maintainer of the package.
> I know the basics of Guile Scheme and Guix System, I'm more or
> less familiar with how Jami works and what are its dependencies, but I
> don't know much about development, git or build systems.
> What are the things I need to learn to be able to start packaging?

Thank you for your interest in maintaining Jami!

You will need to learn the basics of git in order to make commits and
send patches.  You should also read this section of the manual:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git

A typical workflow would go along these lines:

First time setup:
$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
$ cd guix
$ guix environment guix
[env] $ ./bootstrap
[env] $ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
[env] $ make -j4 # adjust for number of cores on your machine

That will build the latest version of Guix locally.  Now you can use the
'./pre-inst-env' script to run guix operations from this directory.  You
should repeat the 'make' step when you have pulled or made other
changes, to pre-compile the Scheme modules.

Making changes to the repository:
$ ./pre-inst-env guix edit jami
$ [...hacking away...]
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build jami
(investigate build failures, repeat until it works)

Once you are happy with your changes, you should commit them and send a
patch to address@hidden:

$ git add -p
(press y on the hunks you wish to stage)
$ git commit # commit the staged changes
$ git send-email --to address@hidden -1 HEAD

Alternatively you can create a patch file with 'git format-patch -1
HEAD' and use your favourite mail user agent to send it.

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on the #guix IRC channel
if you get stuck on anything :-)

Hope this helps,
Marius