guix-devel

Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 13:14:16 +0200

Hi Jan,

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 22:52:58 +0200
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> We always try to unbundle libraries, because that ensures that all
>> packages benefit from security fixes.
>>

> Great, so I have to package everything recursively :)
> Just to make it clear, because I'm a bit unfamiliar with build systems
> and the package API - will packing every library pjproject uses and
> just adding it in the "inputs" field make building possible, or will I
> have to do magic and copy built packages into "third_party" folder in
> the pjproject source tree?

This depends very much on how friendly the build system used by
pjproject is.  Some applications’ build systems resist any attempts to
request the application to be linked with existing libraries, whereas
others will only fall back to the bundled libraries if the libraries
don’t already exist somewhere on LIBRARY_PATH.

This is why it’s often a big headache to package software that uses
custom build systems, as they often lack sane mechanisms for library
discovery or overriding.

> Also what if pjproject (or any package I want to update) depends on a
> specific version of a library? Should I just update the package, or
> should I add a separate version of the library?

Let’s discuss this when the need actually arises.  We have a few
instances of packages that are named “…-for-some-other-package”, but
let’s not add them when they aren’t absolutely necessary.

--
Ricardo