guix-devel

Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 19:41:38 +0000

> Christopher Baines <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> So this is something that might have come up in discussion once or
>> twice, but I've now got around to actually building a prototype.
>>
>> You can see it here: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/
>
> I think this is great!

That's good :)

> I second the suggestion that Lprndn made: it should be quite easy to
> include news entries using ‘channel-news-for-commit’ from (guix
> channels).
>
> I also second the suggestion made by zimoun: recently closed bugs could
> be automatically extracted using Guile-Debbugs (for a while I thought
> ‘guix pull --news’ could do that but now I think it may create too much
> “noise”.)

Awesome, I'll have a look at these things soon.

> As for the cadence, I don’t have any preference.  Weekly could work.  We
> should make it easy for people to contribute snippets, perhaps via the
> web interface and with very lightweight moderation.

Yep, with respect to contributing content, it would be good to make it
really easy. I was also thinking an IRC bot could maybe be used, so you
message it the content, and it somehow makes it appear in the news
entry.

Thanks for taking a look,

Chris