guix-devel

Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 19:52:25 +0000

sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:

> ---- On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 07:19:42 -0500 Christopher Baines <address@hidden>
> wrote ----
>
>  > Hey,
>  >
>  > So this is something that might have come up in discussion once or
>  > twice, but I've now got around to actually building a prototype.
>  >
>  > You can see it here: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/
>  >
>  > Now that I've actually spent some time implementing something, I feel
>  > like this has led to more questions than I've answered. Could this be a
>  > useful thing, and if so why, and to whom? Is weekly the right cadence?
>  > What information should be included? Could it be available in multiple
>  > languages? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has any
>  > thoughts on the above topics.
>
> I like the idea and I think it would be useful for people to see that
> the project is in active development.

Great :)

> Personally, I find useful the lists of packages, and I think I'd like
> to see the number of new, removed and changed packages at the
> beginning of the news entry, plus bug activity (as others have already
> suggested).

Cool, I'll have a look at adding this.

> I have one question, though; couldn't these news be posted as entries
> in the current blog, tagged as "News" entries?

Right, that's something I didn't really consider.

Thinking about it now, I think it's worth considering though. What
advantages and disadvantages do you think they'd be for integrating this
in to the website?

For advantages, I can think of:

 - Easier to have a consistent visual style
 - Easier to provide a combined Atom feed for regular and weekly posts

As for disadvantages:

 - Might make the website more complicated, doing partially automated
   weekly news stuff as well

I know you've worked with the website lots, so I'd be really interested
in your thoughts on how best to manage this. It would be interesting to
get the input of others who've worked on the website as well (maybe
Ludo?).

Thanks,

Chris