guix-devel

emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 19:28:47 +0200

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Indeed, if you build the Lucid version you get a much smaller Emacs.
> We had discussed this some time ago.

I saw that discussion last June but probably I missed something: have
you already sent a patch to request emacs-lucid inclusion in master?

Given the size "issue" of emacs-with-gtk and the emacs warning on the
long standing Gtk+ bug:

Warning: due to a long standing Gtk+ bug
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/221
Emacs might crash when run in daemon mode and the X11 connection is
unexpectedly lost.
Using an Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=lucid does not have this
problem.

IMHO it's useful to have emacs-lucid in official Guix, with subsitutes
available for end users (I'm not using emacs in daemon mode over X11
over SSH for fear of chrashes).

Thanks a lot for your recipe!

[...]

P.S.: I also know there's the http://issues.guix.gnu.org/41732#7
"Implement a wrapper so users can build the Emacs packages using a
version of their choosing" patch around, but it's for a different
(expert) use case AFAIU

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures