guix-devel

Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:42:32 +0200

Please consider I'm still on Emacs 26.3 since one package I use does not
work with 27.1... and I still have not tested "the bug" in a pure
anvironmentt with emacs 27.1 only

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 10:28, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

[...]

>> AFAIU having a public emacs-lucid in Guix master is a better solution
>> for users, but I may be missing something! :-D
>
> You mean better because the GTK bug?  Well, I am extensively using Emacs
> and I do not remember hitting this bug.  Maybe I do not use Emacs
> enough. ;-)

Yes I mean that precise bug, the one that triggers a warning every time
we start emacs with GTK.  Actually that bug has been closed upstream, so
I don't really understand if it will be ever solved.

I'm affected by that bug every time I do:

1. on machine A: start emacs --daemon
2. on machine B: ssh -Y me@A
3. on machine B: emacsclient -c (in ssh session)
4. on machine B: C-x C-c (exit emacsclient)
5. on machine B: (the ssh session is "frozen" in S+ status)
6. on machine B: C-c C-c (stop the remote ssh session)
7. on machine A: (emacs daemon crashed)

AFAIU this bug is still affecting other Emacs users using GTK as X
toolkit.

Happy hacking! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo