guix-devel

Re: Incentives for review

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Incentives for review
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 22:03:23 +0200

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> I was thinking in the opposite direction: not incentives to recognize
> reviewers but a closer relationship to the patch submitters,
> i.e. “patch buddies” or mentorship.  If I made myself officially
> responsible for reviewing commits by Simon and all commits touching R
> then I’m more likely to actually do the review for these patches.

Yeah.  Apparently several people made similar comments: that identifying
who’s knowledgeable about a certain area of the code would help.

I’ve seen GitHub bots that automatically ping people who’ve touched the
same area of code that you’re submitting a pull request for; that’s a
similar idea (I learned about it because for years I’d receive an
occasional notification for Nixpkgs pull requests :-)).

A notification/subscription mechanism along these lines for mumi would
be a step forward in that direction.

Ludo’.