guix-devel

Re: Incentives for review

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann
Subject: Re: Incentives for review
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:03:29 -0300

Hello Artem,

<bauermann@kolabnow.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > One thing that would help me would be some way to “subscribe” to
> > changes in certain areas of Guix. That way, when a patch is submitted
> > which touches those areas I would be automatically copied on the
> > emails that go to the guix-patches mailing list. “areas of Guix” could
> > be defined by paths in the repo, guile modules or regexps matching
> > package names, for example.
> You could handle it by filtering the email in your email client.

Yes, that is true. Thank you for the tip. I’ll set up some message filters
for guix-patches.

And also use a separate mail client just to read the mailing list folders
which is more suited for that use case (I like my current mail client for
handling personal email and low volume stuff).

> One thing that could help this, is to include a little more info in
> the subject line for patches. Right now we include the broad area
> (e.g. "gnu: ..."). But we could go on level deeper and include the
> specific file (e.g. "gnu: docker: ..."). This becomes important
> because gnu as an area of guix spans a lot of different packages and
> languages. With the extra file level information, we can easily filter
> it down to only the areas we know about.

That is a good idea. I agree that it would be helpful.

--
Thanks,
Thiago