guix-devel

Re: Incentives for review

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Incentives for review
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 21:14:01 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

A good middle ground may be to provide incentives for review. How? I’m not sure exactly, but first by making it clear that review is makes the project move forward and is invaluable. You once proposed having ‘Reviewed-By’ tags to acknowledge non-committer reviews, and I think that would be one step in that direction. Perhaps there are other
things we could do?

I was thinking in the opposite direction: not incentives to recognize reviewers but a closer relationship to the patch submitters, i.e. “patch buddies” or mentorship. If I made myself officially responsible for reviewing commits by Simon and all commits touching R then I’m more likely to actually do the review for these patches.

Reviews done by people who are not committers could also be acknowledged, of course, but applying the patch (sometimes manually because of conflicts) is still manual work that can feel like a chore if the committer doesn’t feel a connection to the patch or the person who submitted it.

--
Ricardo