guix-devel

Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 10:29:20 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 03 Jul 2022 at 13:11, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
> What do guixers think of having a repl macro that allows
> you to run commands like if you were using the CLI?

I am not sure to understand the question.  Well, it is already possible,
no?

$ guix repl
GNU Guile 3.0.8
Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guix-user)> ,use(guix scripts show)
scheme@(guix-user)> (guix-show "hello")
name: hello
version: 2.12.1
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
dependencies:
location: gnu/packages/base.scm:86:2
homepage: https://www.gnu.org/software/hello/
license: GPL 3+
synopsis: Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package
serves as an example of standard GNU
+ coding practices.  As such, it supports command-line arguments, multiple
languages, and so on.

$1 = #t
scheme@(guix-user)> ,use(guix scripts package)
scheme@(guix-user)> (guix-package "-s" "hello")
[...]

Obviously, using CLI at the REPL is always not handy,

scheme@(guix-user)> (guix-show "helloo")
guix repl: error: helloo: package not found
$

Cheers,
simon