guix-devel

Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands

From: jgart
Subject: Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 17:27:43 -0500

On Tue, 05 Jul 2022 00:47:07 +0200 zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
> All that said, maybe it could be nice to extend the current
> meta-commands of the REPL.  What would be the need between the current
> CLI and the current Scheme API?

Hi,

That's a good question! Maybe we should make a feature table and analyze
what we currently have exposed to decide what we might want in the near
future that we don't currently have.

> Maybe all the ’leave’ and ’exit’ could be wrapped using an hypothetical
> ’maybe-exit’ catching if it is called from REPL or not.

I'll have to read more code. I was just imagining something like that could
work.

> Is it possible to detect if an interactive call?  I was thinking to add
> a global parameter in ’(guix scripts repl) and then this new
> ’maybe-exit’ could check it; but I guess Guile provides a better
> mechanism for checking interactiveness.

Do you know if guile provides a way of checking that? Should we ask on the
guile mailing
list or should we read more code first to see what's currently provided?

all best,

jgart