guix-devel

Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 08:44:32 +0200

Hi,

On mar., 05 juil. 2022 at 17:27, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> That's a good question! Maybe we should make a feature table and analyze
> what we currently have exposed to decide what we might want in the near
> future that we don't currently have.

What is already exposed:

$ guix repl
GNU Guile 3.0.8
Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guix-user)> ,help guix
Guix Commands [abbrev]:

 ,run-in-store EXP                 - Run EXP through the store monad.
 ,enter-store-monad                - Enter a REPL for values in the store monad.

scheme@(guix-user)>

And patch#56114 [1] introduce in addition:

 ,verbosity LEVEL                  - Change build verbosity to LEVEL.
 ,lower OBJECT                     - Lower OBJECT into a derivation and return
it.
 ,build OBJECT                     - Lower OBJECT and build it, returning its
output file name(s).

1: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56114>

>> Is it possible to detect if an interactive call?  I was thinking to add
>> a global parameter in ’(guix scripts repl) and then this new
>> ’maybe-exit’ could check it; but I guess Guile provides a better
>> mechanism for checking interactiveness.
>
> Do you know if guile provides a way of checking that? Should we ask on
> the guile mailing list or should we read more code first to see what's
> currently provided?

I do not know about a Guile feature allowing to check the
interactiveness.  It seems worth to ask on Guile mailing list because,
if such feature exists then, I have missed from the Guile manual.

Cheers,
simon