guix-devel

Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands

From: jgart
Subject: Re: repl macro (metacommand?) for guix CLI (sub)commands
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:21:59 -0500

On Mon, 04 Jul 2022 15:22:09 +0200 Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> In addition to what zimoun wrote, see this discussion about providing
> REPL metacommands to lower or build things:

Simoun, thanks for the repl session demo. I hadn't tried running the
guix scripts modules at the repl yet. Ludo, thanks for the metacommand
discussion link. It's much appreciated!

In exploring at the repl a bit now I realized that running

`(guix-package "--help")` or `(guix-package "--version")` causes the
repl to exit.

This is because each of those "CLI calls" end up running `(exit 0)`
at the end in some form or another.

Would it be desireable to write some extra code to have the `guix-*`
"CLI functions" not call `(exit 0)` if in a repl and call it if using
from the command line? I imagine that this is only desireable if using
the command line? That way I won't be thrown out of the repl session by
accident and the experience would be more like the CLI experience.

I'm thinking something like a `maybe-exit` and
`show-version-and-maybe-exit` function instead of `(exit 0)` and
`show-version-and-exit` as currently used, respectively.

I'm not sure at the moment on how to detect if I am in a repl when
calling those functions or if I am calling them from the command line.

What do you think?

--
jgart