guix-devel

Re: rust-build-system from antioxidant

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: rust-build-system from antioxidant
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:55:13 +0200

Op 02-06-2023 om 20:02 schreef Nicolas Graves:

A few months ago, Maxime Devos worked on a new rust-build-system to
handle a few issues we were experiencing with cargo (see discussions on
antioxidant in guix-devel).

A month ago, we discussed about the possibility of the integration in
core guix, and the required steps. Maxime and I had a different
approach. Maxime highlighted the possibility to make a smooth transition
but once that would require many gradual changes and deprecation. My
approach was that since we'll have to eventually migrate all packages to
rust-build-system, and since we can freeze all former rust packages in
an archive channel, I would be clearer to make the transition at once.
> [...]

Actually, I started out with the non-gradual approach, but that was overruled by Ludo', IIRC.

Greetings,
Maxime.