guix-devel

Re: rust-build-system from antioxidant

From: Nicolas Graves
Subject: Re: rust-build-system from antioxidant
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:53:07 +0200

Hi all,

Thanks for this discussion that I didn't expected to happen ;)

I'll try and finish a version of the rust-build-system but I'd like to
know if there are reasons to not want a direct and complete rewrite of
all Rust packages before putting more time into this. My rationale is
that since we have channels, users won't really be affected in any
meaningful way because adding a "snapshot of cargo packages" in a
channel and then adding the channel is straightforward.

I've merged the rust-build-system and rust-workspace-build-system into a
single one, and made some UX improvements (a dozen patches on top of
Maxime's work).

If atomicity / readability of changes is the issue, I can try to cut the
packages rewrites into patches (although that would make more than 1k
patches total I think).

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves