gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Time used

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Time used
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:31:03 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Tuomas Lukka wrote:

I refer to these at the bottom with [1] and [2].

> We're writing two different things at once.
> 1) The Gzz platform.
>       - vobs, structure, ...
>       - mechanism, but not policy.
>       - on *THIS* level, anything has to be able to change
>       the background color (which is why I didn't want
>       SolidBgVob to know about Windows).
> 2) The Gzz system
>       - views, keybindings, appearance to the user,
>         switching between modes, etc.
>       - on *THIS* level, we need to settle on what we want
>       the background color to represent and stick to it.
>
> Make sure that you remember which context you're working on at a given time.
> 1) has to provide flexible mechanisms, 2) has to provide a solid, simple
> user interface using those mechanisms.

Try to remember..

>>> I think the background can be used as an output to user.
>>> [see flash(); in (n)curses]
>> I agree that flashing the background to get the user's attention is
>> useful (though difficult with the current vob system).

I don't like to say so :)

I just had (again) a new idea:

When I was prototyping the (Solid)BgVob I run in problems like:
 -whose responsibility is to take care of saveing color attribute?

But we should ask who wants to change it and so changing is it's
responsibitily. Now I introduse you new phrase 'somewhere' which is the
place I don't know actually where is it.

If 'somewhere' are
 -reference to whose responsibility is to control the bg color
 -current color
 -speed to fade/flash (read - how much color can be changed with every
  frame).

Those who want color changeing must implement and interface to be asked
some questions like the bg color ,-)

And now in practise:
In construction
 Fallback.Win is referenced to 'somewhere'.

Everything is good until user presses a tab.
Now mode takes reference and when the next solidbgvob is constructed
the color fades with medium speed to text-mode's color(white).

Ups, user presses something ridiculous. Reference is moved to error.
It flash with fast speed a red color to face of user and right after
suitable time the color fades back to text-mode's white color.

When tab is pressed again white fades with medium speed to Fallback.Win's
color which(not color) is now referenced to 'somewhere'.

Ok, now some thinking:
 +no changes in SolidBgVob [2]
 +fadeing [1]
 +'somewhere's doesn't have to know anything about windows [1&2]

 -speed is hard to count [somewhere]
  'cause of awt/gl, and computer speed etc.

   -Matti