gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: ImageCache

From: Tero Mayranen
Subject: [Gzz] Re: ImageCache
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:25:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Tuomas Lukka wrote:

> I've been thinking about this: maybe we actually should not use
> GdkPixbuf at that point of the API but OpenGL textures, or even
> Mosaic::TexRect 's.

Why not, TexRects seem to be easy to transport over the JNI interface...
But how does one create a TexRect from pixel data?

> Ouch, a terminology problem: cropping usually means cutting away
> parts of the image.

True, cropToSize was actually dropToSize first but I thought that sounded
bad too =)...  Currently it's trimToSize.

> Also, need to decide on a scale and stick to it.
> Possibilities:
>
>       0 = normal resolution
>       1 = normal / 2
>       2 = normal / 4
>
>               + used by OpenGL
>               - doesn't tell about image size, so anyone calling
>                 "cropToSize" or whatever it's renamed to
>                 will have to know
>
>       kilobytes
>
>               + handy for knowing how much there is
>               - bad for resolutions: some images need more than others.
>
> And then call it always size or LOD or whatever.

hmm whenever LOD is referred to it means and works just like the first
description.  The trimToSize call is for the whole cache and it takes the
size in bytes.  The byte-size of images is stored in them too...

--
tero