gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] New PEG: containment--benja

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] New PEG: containment--benja
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:56:13 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:33:02PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
Tuomas Lukka wrote:

The keys work even if you don't view those dims, right?
Sure. They put one cell into another cell; the result the user expects is that the one cell's text appears *inside* the other cell. The d.contain etc. connections are internal-- like the clone dimension when you use the 't' key.

About that also: it's vital to show that that text is somehow "specially"
inside there; it behaves so differently from the rest.

Ted has suggested showing the first character of each cell in inverse video. Since we don't use a console interface, we could show a vertical bar at the boundaries. But I don't like this as a default: I don't like having vertical bars around everywhere.

I can imagine the user trouble: "I accidentally hit some key and now
there's text there that I can't remove. What's going ON?".

Hm...

That might be a good enough reason, actually, to make these keys optional
and non-default, until the user interface is polished... Such that they
are on when -Dgzz.containment=1 is used.

I don't know, I think -Dgzz.containment=1 is really an antisocial way of enabling this kind of thing. (You could say that currently only the developers are supposed to use the beast anyway, but then again, they should not freak out over these keys, either.) I dunno, I'm ok with the keys being optional for now, but I don't like your way to activate them...

Also, there's the point that Ted has said he wants these bindings like that, even though in the Perl client, too, Ctrl-K (or what it was) edited only the text in the cell itself, not the contained cells.

Dunno.
- Benja