gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document

From: hemppah
Subject: Re: [Gzz] hemppah's research problems document
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:12:59 +0200

Lainaus Tuomas Lukka <address@hidden>:

> > > mentioned
> know,
> > > in
> how
> > > it
> > >
> > > I have no idea what you're talking about ;)
> > >

> > Let's put this in another way: Is it possible to fragment Storm blocks
> (e.g.
> > each block consists of number of fixed-size "miniblocks", say A, B and C,
> and
> > they each have a unique hash, like in Tiger-tree hashing) to different
> > "mini-blocks" so that we are able to fetch these "mini-blocks" from
> different
> > sources (for more efficient download when fetching *big* blocks) ? If the
> answer
> > is yes, I don't see any reasons why we are not able to implement
> Overnet-like
> > block fetching in Gzz.
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> The problem is finding the hashes of the miniblocks from the block id: if
> someone
> gets to do this in a hostile way you could download a lot of miniblocks to
> discover
> in the end that you got a lot of garbage, because one of the miniblocks is
> wrong.

Hmm...I think this is handled somehow in Overnet. I don't know the details,
though.

Btw, two interesting links:
http://jigle.com/
http://www.sharereactor.com/fakesearch.php

Please do not pay attention to a content (part of content is illegal)!!!
Instead, the idea is interesting and at least somelevel *working*.

-Hermanni