gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] storm-uri-application.txt

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] storm-uri-application.txt
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:44:48 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Quoting Tuomas Lukka <address@hidden>:

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:48:32PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 09:26:41PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

All,

If you haven't looked through Documentation/misc/storm-urn-application.txt, please do so now. I plan to submit it tomorrow (Friday).

I'm really not sure if we *really* want to put the 00 and 01 ones in

there,

as they are old development versions.

That would violate the persistency commitment.

.. which we haven't made yet, and will make at this point. Because of that,
I'd like to keep the least baggage.

And of course, as stated in the text, if *really* needed, "...future versions of
this registration may introduce additional identifier variants", which may
provide e.g. backward compatibility ;).
At this point, as Tuomas said, we should keep things simple.

This is not keeping things simple, this is insanity. Storm is supposed to provide a guarantee about backwards compatibility-- potentially for decades or even centuries. Any choices we make now will seem horrible by then! If we are not able to provide compatibility for even two years, we should simply stop development of Storm right now.

There are a number of design decisions in Storm which I would do differently if I could. For example, I would not use MIME messages; I would use hashes of the bodies and give content types for them. All the headers add currently could be archieved through other means, and this would unify namespaces. But we have to provide backward compatibility, so we should go for the least disruptive change in order to gather the least garbage. I would use base32 instead of base16, as base32 is the emerging standard in the p2p community. But we should take the route that collects the least garbage while providing backward compatibility. And so on.

Tuomas has asserted before that we'd keep the persistency commitment (e.g. when switching from 00 to 01 ids, where we didn't break compatibility). Now he's willing to break it, after only about a year!, because it's inelegant. Now, our current registration doesn't state the persistency commitment itself either. If we ever write an RFC which includes it, we *will* have collected more garbage along the way, and so he'll come again and say, "Well, so far we haven't really made the commitment. Let's just drop the data we have so far." How could anybody trust their data to a system when its developers speak about long-time storage and aren't even able to provide backward compatibility for two years?

- Benja