gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] storm-uri-application.txt

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Re: [Gzz] storm-uri-application.txt
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:55:22 +0200 (EET)

(keeping the cc's as the list can be so - isn't that customary?)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

not that i have a stand on this yet - have been travelling&busy otherwise
so could only now (in 15minutes..) read the >50 posts from a couple of
days, trying to concentrate for a couple of hours now and fully again from
Monday on. so just a quick thought:

> decades or even centuries. Any choices we make now will seem horrible by
> then! If we are not able to provide compatibility for even two years, we
> should simply stop development of Storm right now.
(...)
> There are a number of design decisions in Storm which I would do
> differently if I could. For example, I would not use MIME messages; I
> would use hashes of the bodies and give content types for them. All the

If I've understood correctly, the 0.8 Chartreuse is about doing things
right. It is yet in alpha, where things can change. So perhaps they
indeed should?

There are now so few users (us, basically - right?) that it can be done. I
believe you can somehow bring your data over. I sure hope I can bring my
space (with ~20k cells, all notes and drafts etc. from 6monhts) from 0.6.

> commitment. Let's just drop the data we have so far." How could anybody
> trust their data to a system when its developers speak about long-time
> storage and aren't even able to provide backward compatibility for two

You do have a strong point here. I just don't know if this situation is
really what you are talking about, i.e. how strongly such commitment has
been made etc., and how much damage changes would now do. I really hope
(and believe, knowing you a little of you two) that this can be resolved
sanely (and hope that I can interfere constructively, not mess it up).

> - Benja

~Toni