gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] storm-uri-application.txt

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] storm-uri-application.txt
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:05:04 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:26:13PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
So you are intending to throw away my data?

Ok, if you have real data, then that changes things. No problem then.

Hm. Let's see. I do, but not very much; while converting a set of Storm blocks is a nightmare, as you have to update the references to other blocks (as experienced by Rauli), it would be possible to write a dumper to A-J's spacedump format, losing the xu data, and I'd be prepared to go with that.

Then there is the shared data from the time before last spring's rewrite. I remember that Tero spent a lot of time on getting some Clasm things to work. Any others with data in that space they do not want to lose? (I don't have any.) We should also be able to convert this data while losing xu connectivity.

I do not know about the pp project, but since nobody mentioned it, I guess there isn't any data there that needs to be preserved?

If we have a dumper for the current format (and I do think I can write one), there is still the issue of principle. As antont said on IRC:

<antont> benja: i wonder about the backwards compatibility: from teh arguments i've seen from You and Tuomas, there seems to be a difference: +for you it's a matter of principle (a one that everyone agrees on, i suppose) - but Tuomas indicated only practical reas
<antont> ons (i.e. your existing real data) in his post.

So far, I thought that there was an agreement that we would not drop compatibility for Storm blocks (because it's so horribly hard to convert them to another format). As I said in another mail, how can you trust Storm if one day we say we won't break backwards compat, and the next day we do?

Then again, this *is* a development version. I can see how it may be justified to break compat here if we can make the system simpler for it.

However, I think that just like in a full-fledged, widely used implementation, the Persistency Commitment *does* apply to the development versions: "Future versions of this specification will allow data to be read that can be read according to this version of the specification." There is only one way to do something not backwards compatible: Write a different specification (not an update to the other one).

We can do that. In my opinion, then, we should address all the issues there are with Storm, currently, doing a clean-slate design based on what we have learned. The 02 identifier design is *very much* influenced by the need to provide backwards compatibility. I would like to correct a great many design choices if we aren't bound to that.

I also believe very much that this needs a PEG. Breaking backwards compat as a side-thought of a URN registration seems VERY BAD to me.

And then there's the issue that this is a very bad time, as we're currently writing the Storm article.

I'm willing to provide ideas about a non-backward-compat, Storm-like system if there is interest. But I do want this to go through the PEG process, and I do want there to be a zzstructure-level converter tool. And I do want the honesty of acknowledging that this is a *new* system, throwing the development system away because of what we've learned in the process. *And* I want a clear statement about the persistency commitment we give (maybe: this specification is committed to it, but until 0.8beta we may switch to yet another system if there is need).

Agree?

- Benja (whew)