gzz-dev

Cursor semantics (was Re: Cursors in RDF (was Re: [Gzz] Structure propos

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Cursor semantics (was Re: Cursors in RDF (was Re: [Gzz] Structure proposal: RDF (+Xu)))
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:43:18 +0100

Benja Fallenstein wrote:

[Warning: I'm going to continue talking to myself until somebody else joins in :-)]

There's a cursor position, the focused node, shown in the middle of the screen. [...] In addition to the focus, we keep a selected node. This is shown directly right of the focused note (if connected poswards) or directly left (if connected negwards).

Just noted that literals make this a little more complicated. We want to be able to focus literal nodes, yet we cannot make a link to them, because they're without identity. From the semantics perspective, this makes sense, but for editing, it makes things yet a little more difficult.

Have to think about this. Possibly saying "the 'age' property literal of person X is accursed" would be right, but there may be two such literals... hmmmm.

Maybe you shouldn't be able to *accurse* literals anyway, only select them on the wheel.

[...]

However, we still need a way to select the literal as the current 'rotation' of the wheel. If we just stored the literal itself, it would be possible that there are two different properties on an object with an equal literal value... so we'd probably need to store the property as well...

Just noted something important to realize here-- considering how RDF is about semantics. Question: What kind of thing do our cursors accurse? Answer: RDF nodes. They don't really accurse the XMMS media player, or the W3C home page, or the string "Africa"; they accurse the RDF node that represents the media player or home page, or the RDF literal whose value is "Africa."

But when we make a link to a RDF node, this is interpreted as saying something about the thing the RDF node represents, NOT saying something about the node itself. To get the semantics right, we need reification: to represent X, we create another node Y, with the property "Y represents-the-node-that-represents X" or something like that.

So our window could have a property accursesNode, and the value of that property would be the *reification* of the node the window accurses. This seems to make sense from a semantic POV. (It would be a little less direct, but not much so-- two arcs instead of one for a structure users rarely view directly.)

And if we did this, literals would become much easier: Literal nodes would also have a reification, something like "The literal node containing string S which is the value of property P of node N."

Example 1:

window accursesNode X
X instanceOf URINodeReification
X representsTheNodeThatRepresents http://w3c.org

Example 2:

window accursesNode Y
Y instanceOf LiteralReification
Y isString "World Wide Web Consortium"
Y isValueOfProperty hasAuthor
Y isValueOfSubject http://w3c.org

I.e., in the latter case, the literal node containing the author name of w3c.org would be accursed.

We'd need a third class for reifying blank nodes... But all this seems to make a lot more sense right now, at least to me :-)

-b.