gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG: vocabprocess -- cleanup and freeze RDF vocabularies

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG: vocabprocess -- cleanup and freeze RDF vocabularies
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 18:44:44 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
PEG vocabprocess--tjl: process for RDF vocabularies

:Author:   Tuomas J. Lukka
:Last-Modified: $Date: 2003/05/11 15:57:36 $
:Revision: $Revision: 1.1 $

It seems that vocabularies are easy to create but difficult
to define and maintain. We need more process for vocabularies
which will be put into actual public use.

Agreed.

This PEG changes the current fenfire vocabulary quite a bit,
moves a lot of stuff into lava and creates rules on how new vocabulary terms are started and how they end up in the proper
vocab instead of lava.

Issues
======

- Is it ok to have a separate namespace for experimental things?

    RESOLVED: Yes, conversion can be automated / done with inference.

I don't agree. It's still too inconvenient. You should give a reason why it is *desirable*, not just that it is *possible*.

    Any URI in the experimental space should not be widely used
    before being properly defined and accepted.

This is entirely possible without marking it experimental in the URI.

Changes
=======

General
-------

Create new package, ``org.fenfire.vocab.lava``.

Move most of the vocabulary entries into lava.

Freeze ``org.fenfire.vocab``. Changes only through PEG process

Ok.

Change the prefix ``http://fenfire.org/vocabulary``
to ``http://fenfire.org/rdf``.

This looks bad for two reasons:

- Are you positive that we don't want http://fenfire.org/rdf for anything else later, such as a webpage about Fenfire's relationship to RDF? If this is the root of our vocab definitions, I expect a list of our public vocabularies there.
- NEVER use URIs you want to be permanent without a timestamp.

Actually the above could be used with a timestamp, but you don't explicitly say so. Please define a full template for namespaces. I suggest::

    http://fenfire.org/terms/YYYY/MM/[DD/]namespacename

where ``YYYY``, ``MM``, ``DD`` are the date (or month) when the namespace was created, and ``namespacename`` is chosen by the person creating the namespace. (DD is optional.)

Items in the namespace would have the form::

    http://fenfire.org/terms/YYYY/MM/[DD/]namespacename#id

where ``id`` is chosen by the person creating the namespace.

All new words define without PEG go into org.fenfire.vocab.lava
and use the prefix ``http://fenfire.org/EXPERIMENTAL/rdf``.

I agree that new words w/o PEG should go into org.fenfire.vocab.lava, but I believe they should follow the same pattern as the above. If they have webpages at their URIs, these webpages should clearly say the term is experimental.

All entries in vocabulary classes shall have their **official**
definitions there, in their javadocs. There shall be no members
or classes without good documentation.

Good.

Vocabularies

ALPH
""""

Remove ``content``, is in FF.

Remove ``clone`` and ``cloneType`` and ``dataType``, not current/relevant.

Um, please do this exactly the other way around: specify what is *retained*, giving precise Javadoc definitions.

- Benja