gzz-dev

[Gzz] PEG: vocabprocess -- cleanup and freeze RDF vocabularies

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] PEG: vocabprocess -- cleanup and freeze RDF vocabularies
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 18:58:00 +0300

PEG vocabprocess--tjl: process for RDF vocabularies

:Author:   Tuomas J. Lukka
:Last-Modified: $Date: 2003/05/11 15:57:36 $
:Revision: $Revision: 1.1 $

It seems that vocabularies are easy to create but difficult
to define and maintain. We need more process for vocabularies
which will be put into actual public use.

This PEG changes the current fenfire vocabulary quite a bit,
moves a lot of stuff into lava and creates rules on how
new vocabulary terms are started and how they end up in the proper
vocab instead of lava.

Issues
======

- Is it ok to have a separate namespace for experimental things?

    RESOLVED: Yes, conversion can be automated / done with inference.
    Any URI in the experimental space should not be widely used
    before being properly defined and accepted.

- What about ALPH? How much should we be defining ALPH things
  here, outside Alph proper?

    RESOLVED: Remove & rename. We are talking about fenfire
    things, not alpha things, with content &c.

    We could, in principle, move some of it to Alph, but we don't
    want to depend on Swamp there.

Changes
=======

General
-------

Create new package, ``org.fenfire.vocab.lava``.

Move most of the vocabulary entries into lava.

Freeze ``org.fenfire.vocab``. Changes only through PEG process.

Change the prefix ``http://fenfire.org/vocabulary``
to ``http://fenfire.org/rdf``.

All new words define without PEG go into org.fenfire.vocab.lava
and use the prefix ``http://fenfire.org/EXPERIMENTAL/rdf``.

All entries in vocabulary classes shall have their **official**
definitions there, in their javadocs. There shall be no members
or classes without good documentation.

Vocabularies
------------

ALPH
""""

Remove ``content``, is in FF.

Remove ``clone`` and ``cloneType`` and ``dataType``,
not current/relevant.

Remove ``xuType``, should be ``xuLinkType``.

Then, we have left ``xuLinkFrom``, ``xuLinkTo``, ``xuLinkType``.
We should probably avoid 'xu' in the permanent names,
just in case. These should be moved to FF.cLink, FF.cLinkFrom,
FF.cLinkTo for clink, "content link", a term Ted at some point used.

FF
""

Retain.

PAPER, SPATIAL