gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG: vocabprocess -- cleanup and freeze RDF vocabularies

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG: vocabprocess -- cleanup and freeze RDF vocabularies
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 07:53:59 +0300

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 06:44:44PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> >Issues
> >======
> >
> >- Is it ok to have a separate namespace for experimental things?
> >
> >    RESOLVED: Yes, conversion can be automated / done with inference.
>
> I don't agree. It's still too inconvenient. You should give a reason
> why it is *desirable*, not just that it is *possible*.

It is desirable to be able to *see* from the URI which data is
stable, which is not, without having to look at the definitions.

For example, grepping for the experimental ns from a file would
give you a good idea whether your data is based on stable code.

The idea is also that conversion wouldn't be too often necessary:
the move from lava to real wouldn't require too much work, just a PEG
round.

> >    Any URI in the experimental space should not be widely used
> >    before being properly defined and accepted.
>
> This is entirely possible without marking it experimental in the URI.

Yes, it's more important to remind humans, who can't know without
referring to the vocabs unless it's in the name.

> >Change the prefix ``http://fenfire.org/vocabulary``
> >to ``http://fenfire.org/rdf``.
>
> This looks bad for two reasons:
>
> - Are you positive that we don't want http://fenfire.org/rdf for
> anything else later, such as a webpage about Fenfire's relationship to
> RDF? If this is the root of our vocab definitions, I expect a list of
> our public vocabularies there.

How about "rdfv"? Or something..

I don't like "terms" you use below, since it refers equally well to human
words - at least rdf is stuff about RDF, not a glossary.

> - NEVER use URIs you want to be permanent without a timestamp.
>
> Actually the above could be used with a timestamp, but you don't
> explicitly say so. Please define a full template for namespaces. I
> suggest::
>
>     http://fenfire.org/terms/YYYY/MM/[DD/]namespacename
>
> where ``YYYY``, ``MM``, ``DD`` are the date (or month) when the
> namespace was created, and ``namespacename`` is chosen by the person
> creating the namespace. (DD is optional.)
>
> Items in the namespace would have the form::
>
>     http://fenfire.org/terms/YYYY/MM/[DD/]namespacename#id
>
> where ``id`` is chosen by the person creating the namespace.

Agreed.

> >All new words define without PEG go into org.fenfire.vocab.lava
> >and use the prefix ``http://fenfire.org/EXPERIMENTAL/rdf``.
>
> I agree that new words w/o PEG should go into org.fenfire.vocab.lava,
> but I believe they should follow the same pattern as the above. If
> they have webpages at their URIs, these webpages should clearly say
> the term is experimental.

See above

> >Vocabularies
> >
> >ALPH
> >""""
> >
> >Remove ``content``, is in FF.
> >
> >Remove ``clone`` and ``cloneType`` and ``dataType``,
> >not current/relevant.
>
> Um, please do this exactly the other way around: specify what is
> *retained*, giving precise Javadoc definitions.

You're right, that's better.

        Tuomas