h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Developer's Meeting?

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Developer's Meeting?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:09:48 -0400

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:45:13AM +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> Leaving units to modules is a good idea. But for now, modules are just
> a proposal, the specification doesn't mention them.

Please write a paragraph or two to add them to the specification ;-).

> Figshare (figshare.com) accepts files up to 250 MB, which should be
> enough for example trajectories.
>
> BTW, once there is a definite 1.0 specification of H5MD, I propose
> to store it on Figshare as well, for archiving. That makes it possible
> to refer to a definite version with a permanently valid DOI.
> Sites like Savannah or Github are great for development, but they
> don't offer sufficient persistence guarantees for archiving.

It sounds nice at first; but don't be fooled, figshare will
inevitably see its demise just like most other web service,
leaving the permanent DOIs to the data files inaccessible.

So if figshare provides URLs that we can refer to in the git-annex
repository, that will do the job as a mirror. Persistence would be
guaranteed by the hash of the content stored in the git repository
as a symlink, and the availability of multiple independent mirrors.

Peter