h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Markdown

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Markdown
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:42:27 +0200

Am 24.09.2013, 16:51 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:21:20PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
-1

pandoc does not work for me, it does not exist in the OpenSuSE
repositories and I did not manage to build it myself. Sphinx is
found in many distros and is easy to build. There is no benefit in
changing the text format, it just causes trouble for other people.
Remember: the workload goes into the content, not the formatting.

I am sorry for the trouble, but I thought this was the idea?

With rst, I always have to compile the document to HTML to see if
I messed up the formatting (`hyper <link>`_, verbatim follows::).
The markdown format allows composing the text without compilation.

The hope is that anybody can contribute, without needing sphinx or pandoc.

Peter

I apologise. I didn't understand how Markdown works and I had only a brief glance on the reformatted text. My impression was that its similar to ReST with just a different syntax. Having a second look, the syntax is indeed much simpler and human readable (although some care has to be taken with indentations, parentheses, and colons, I suppose).

Just editing the text files and having no need for pandoc (nor sphinx) is indeed an improvement. Sorry for the complaint.

Felix