h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] H5MD 1.1 roadmap

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] H5MD 1.1 roadmap
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:56:37 +0100

On 09/01/15 16:36, Pierre de Buyl wrote:

I think that it is time for a H5MD 1.1 roadmap

Yes, thanks for having initiated the action!

"""
We could use the following principle: As long as it is possible for a H5MD i.j+1
reader to read a H5MD i.j file unambiguously and in a single codebase, we may
use i.j+1 for the update. Else, the version jumps to i+1.0
"""

The critical term here is "single codebase", which I think requires clarification. Does it mean "without inspecting the file's version number for making decisions"?

I'd like to propose another principle, for the process of accepting proposals: each proposal must come with (1) at least one working implementation and (2) at least one illustrating example file.

The motivation is not so much to have a useful implementation right away, but to be sure that the proposal actually has been implemented. In my experience, it is impossible to write down a non-trivial specification without developing an implementation in parallel. Moreover, the implementation and example can help to clarify points that might be unclear in the text.

Note that I do not propose that the implementation and/or example become part of H5MD, only that they should be part of a proposal.

Konrad.