[Health-dev] Steps to set up a development environement

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: [Health-dev] Steps to set up a development environement
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 06:24:01 +0100

Hi -dev list,

In order to help with the FHIR development [0] I am setting up a
development environment.
I have created a new VM (Ubuntu 13.10) and am wondering what the
needed steps are.

- Should I just install the current GNU Health version, and then go an
remove the health* directories in the python installation path? Or
install Tryton, and then manually all dependencies for GNU Health?
- How do you test your development? Do you symlink your development
folder, or do you have to run an install command after each change
(hopefully not)
- What other tricks do you use to make developing GNU Health easier?

We'll integrate these answers on our wikibook [1] so that it becomes
reproducible for other future contributors.

Thanks,
    +Emilien

[0] http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13118
[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health/Contributing