[Health-dev] Translation: Where some problems come from Re: Problematic

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: [Health-dev] Translation: Where some problems come from Re: Problematic strings in code
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 14:23:40 +0200

El 11/4/20 a las 19:51, Francisco Vila escribió:
While translating, I've found some strings problematic or
untranslatable. I could do a fragile/volatile translation but my idea
was to try fixing the code instead.
I understand i18n or translation are not "priority zero" at present
time. But every person does what he can.

It has been hard to track where these strange strings come from, as they
are not in the code as such:

  tryton/health/locale/health.pot:

  msgctxt "report:gnuhealth.immunization_status_report:"
  msgid "P"

  msgctxt "report:gnuhealth.immunization_status_report:"
  msgid "atient age"

  msgctxt "report:gnuhealth.immunization_status_report:"
  msgid "the i"

  msgctxt "report:gnuhealth.immunization_status_report:"
  msgid "mmunization status corresponding to the"

et cetera.

These come from an odt document and can only be searched in the
content.xml inside it:

  <text:p text:style-name="P32">
  <text:span text:style-name="T7">P</text:span>
  <text:span text:style-name="T8">atient age</text:span>
  <text:span text:style-name="T14"> :</text:span>

  <text:span text:style-name="T13"> the i</text:span>
  mmunization status corresponding to the

From the actual look of the document (see attached), one can say there
is no reason for those useless word-splitting character-span styles and
therefore they should be eliminated.

You can also see this (and some similar ones) is where many
ortho-typographic errors come from, like inserted spaces before a colon.
This is not proper English and causes problems for translators.

I could in theory craft an ODT 'surgically' modified by editing the
content.xml itself, but I don't know if it is the best way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)