Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?

From: Bill Gradwohl
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:42:51 -0600

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
Manual says:

          -v      Print shell input lines as they are read.

The entire case statement is read without "-v" in effect.  Another line
isn't read by bash until after the esac.

Thank you DJ, Eric & Greg.

I would never have figured that out, as when I read the man page statement Greg pointed out I assumed a line ended with a newline character, not some 'logical' line that chews up the entire thought which is a case statement and encompasses many 'normal' lines.

I often wondered, but hadn't experimented with, how set statements are acted upon. I thought they might be like compiler directives - pragmas. Are they acted upon when hit by the reading of lines of input where a line ends with a newline character irrespective of logic statements, or are they subject to programmatic evaluation only if the logic would hit the set statement.

I always thought it was the former. Now it appears its neither.

I'm curious how you guys came to the conclusion you did, as my reading of the man page won't get me there.

--
Bill Gradwohl