Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?

From: Steven W. Orr
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 23:18:43 -0400

On 3/15/2012 10:47 PM, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    What is it that you think set -v actually does?  What's your goal in
    using it?

I've used -v before on simple test scripts and under simple conditions I got
what I was expecting. -v in a more demanding environment such as the case
statement is useless - I agree.

I thought it was going to echo the lines of code as they were being executed,
much like -x only without all the -x hieroglyphics. I was hoping to use both
simultaneously to read a line of code via -v and then see the -x version along
side. That would be handy. As it is, -v is not usable for anything of any
consequence.

This is bash.

+

This is bash  with a crafty PS4/

export PS4='+${0##*/} line $LINENO: '

Enjoy.

I tried reading up on the debugger and got lost. I guess I'll give it a try
again as I want something that can single step, display intermediate results,
etc without resorting to echo this and echo that at the source code level. I
thought -v might provide some relief, but no such luck.

--
Bill Gradwohl

steveo at syslang.net