Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:28:06 -0600

On 08/27/2012 09:20 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For host bash dev repository, I feel that github may be a better
> alternative than savannah for the additional branching features
> offered by github. The interface of savannah is less convenient than
> github.

Anyone is allowed to clone their own repository, and host their clone on
github if they'd like.  But I'd still prefer to host the official
upstream bash.git via savannah, in part because there is some
controversy over whether github encourages non-free software, which
would give the impression of going contrary to GNU goals.

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Freedom-for-Web-Pages
http://tom.preston-werner.com/2011/11/22/open-source-everything.html

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266