Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:46:24 -0500

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Stefano Lattarini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 05:20 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For host bash dev repository, I feel that github may be a better
>> alternative than savannah for the additional branching features
>> offered by github.
>>
> What would this better "branching feature" be exactly?  I regularly use
> multiple clones and multiple branches per clone with repositories hosted
> on Savannah, with no problem so far.  In fact, given the fully distributed
> nature of Git, I've even been using repositories which have some branches
> published on Savannah and other branches published on Github, again with
> no problems so far (I love Git!).

Because both savannah and github support git, therefore, whatever
supported by git is available in both sites.

If you look at the table that referred in the first email, you see
that github has two additional features "Personal branch" "Private
branch". I think that this is related with the web interface rather
than with git. Practically, I'm familiar with github.

I am sure that there should be ways to sync multiple repositories
automatically. For example, I should be able to pull whatever new
development from savannah to github, and submit pull request from
github to savannah. But I don't know exact how to do it.

If these problem can be solved, then it is not necessary to migrate
from savannah to git. Does anybody who are more experienced with git
give some guideline work flow with working commands? Thanks!

Peng