Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:57:47 -0400

On 8/27/12 9:22 PM, Peng Yu wrote:

>> OK, let me put this another way.  savannah provides the features I need,
>> and allows me to make the development versions of bash available in a
>> way that is convenient.
>>
>> I don't need to use github to read a description of other features of
>> potential value.  What benefit would I (or you) see using github that
>> savannah doesn't provide?
>>

> I suppose that you deliberately send the email to just me not the
> mailing list. Hence I only reply to you. Please feel free to reply
> back to the mailing list, if this was not the case.

No, I messed up.  I resent the reply to the mailing list.

> I can see your resistance to github as you are more familiar with
> savannah. I'm not the right person to tell you what features github
> offers but savannah doesn't. All I can say is that there is some
> feature comparison on wiki between github and savannah. The following
> shows that there are over 2 million people registered on github. I
> don't have the number on savannah (please let me know if you can find
> it, but I doubt that savannah can beat github in this aspect). By
> comparing the numbers, I think that it will be obvious which one is
> more popular. The one that is more popular is more likely to attract
> more people to contribute to bash development.

It's not resistance to github per se, just a benefit analysis.  Things
like "it's more popular" or "it has more users" aren't really convincing.
If, as you claim, it's more likely to attract contributors, then a simple
test would be to clone the repository from savannah on github and see what
happens.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/