Variable for server argument in copy command?

From: Geary Boedeker
Subject: Variable for server argument in copy command?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:38:23 -0800

I'm having a conceptual mental block with my
configuration; maybe someone has solved this already.

I have several small sites of Solaris boxes which I
want to update/configure using cfengine. These sites
are connected the headquarters with 1.5mbps T-1, or
1.0mbps DSL.

The model I'm building has 3 tiers. The "gold" system
lives at headquarters. Each site has a "distribution"
server that periodically contacts "gold" for updates.
The clients at the site contact the local "distrib"
server for updates, thereby minimizing WAN traffic.

I know how to make the client "figure out" what site
it is at by setting a variable based on the IP address.

Problem:

All of the site configs are basically the same *except*
for the hostname of the local "distrib" server. But
because I can't seem to make the "server" argument of the
"copy" command accept a variable, I'm stuck with having
individual copy statements for each site - this doesn't scale
well.

Ideally, I would like to have one "copy" statement, and
merely *switch* the name of the server based on site.
Has anyone done this? As always, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom......Geary Boedeker