Re: compiling with BerkeleyDB installed in /usr/local...

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: compiling with BerkeleyDB installed in /usr/local...
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:34:13 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2003, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

> There is no need to fix anything. Read the help instead. Or the scripts I send
> you. Or whatever.
>
> ./configure --with-berkeleydb=/usr/local \
>       --with-openssl=/path/to/openssl
>
> Get __sure__ that there is a /usr/local/include/db.h and a
> /usr/local/include/libdb.a

Yeah, that's supposed to work, but it doesn't, because of this:

(line 3483 in configure, cfengine-2.0.4)
    if test "x$BERKELEY_DB_DIR" = "xyes" ; then
        for v in BerkeleyDB.3.2 BerkeleyDB.3.3 BerkeleyDB.4.0; do
            for d in /opt /usr/local /usr; do
                test -d "$d/$v" && BERKELEY_DB_DIR="$d/$v"
            done
        done
    fi

It's the 'test -d' that breaks it.  With configure like this, you _must_
have BerkeleyDB installed at something/BerkeleyDB.someversion.  In order
to compile cfengine with the actual install root as /usr/local/, not
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3, I had to change the test to 'test -e', and I
had to create /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3 as a link to '.', which made it
all work but is two hacks.

> Same for openssl.

I got openssl to work; I was just using it as an example of an app that
frustrates me, because it wants to be installed at its own root in
/usr/local, which complicates most things but most notably automounting
/usr/local and compiling against OpenSSL.  It's especially nasty doing
this with OpenLDAP, because for some retarded reason, the developers
require you to specify both -L and -R in LDFLAGS, or you have to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is (again) a hack.  OpenSSL + OpenLDAP = PITA, and
yes, it's made me a bit bitter.

Incidentally, I'm compiling cfengine for both hp-ux and solaris, and I'm
having problems on each.  I'm actually compiling everything to install in
/usr/local/install/$pkg/$version.  On Solaris, BerkeleyDB core dumps,
which is convenient.  I can't figure it out.  I do a pretty standard
configure and such, but basically every single binary core dumps, which
means (of course) cfengine also core dumps.  On HP-UX, everything
compiles just dandy, but make install on cfengine gets really pukey.  It
complains about cfparse.h having multiple stanzas in the makefile, and
then it dies on syntax errors.  I did have to remove the -lPW on HP-UX; is
there a way to do that from configure, rather than editing src/Makefile?

I'm at home right now and can't provide specifics, but if anyone thinks
s/he can provide help, I'd be glad to provide more specifics.

Luke

--
:       We are looking at a newspaper clipping labelled "Huffington
: Herald 11/12/96" in which "Huffington" states, in part: