Re: Syslog facility

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Syslog facility
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:26:09 -0500

John Sechrest wrote:
As you are doing specific debugging, I think it would be valuable to be able to turn on and off different levels of logging at different spots.

I'd think that might be overkill. If you can control the facility, your syslog.conf can control the effective verbosity simply by telling that facility to drop everything below .info or whatever.

Besides, for serious debugging you are going to use the debug and verbose flags, not watch syslog. The logging should be aimed primarily at notifying the maintainer of events worthy of notice, with enough "other" stuff to help him/her reconstruct events. IMHO, anyway.

Certainly choosing where to syslog to is a good thing. But this should be adjustable at different points.

I agree. It would be useful to be able to redefine it at different points.... perhaps have an include log to a different facility.

As we deploy our web cluster, we are finding that syslog is a key bottleneck in system performance.
It may be worth looking at how syslog effects performance.

I'd venture to say that the performance of various syslogd implementations is entirely outside of the scope of the cfengine project. If your syslog daemon is too slow, either use another one or rethink your implementation or don't use syslog.

If you have 5000 machines all running cfengine, all syslogging to the same server at the same time,
I bet things get slow

Again, outside of cfengine's scope. Syslogd lets you direct your sysloggery to whatever you want. If you have 5000 systems blasting UDP at one box, well, you will probably get what you deserve :-)