Re: Syslog facility (Side Note)

From: Systems Administrator
Subject: Re: Syslog facility (Side Note)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:44:01 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> Is this a commercial product? That would make it rather
> inapplicable. But if it were easy to support as an alternative, I'd be
> willing.

        My understanding is that syslog-ng has the same input/output
(/dev/log on my linux box) as syslog, but has a lot more configurability.
So I'm actually running it as an stunnel/TCP thing to log to a central
machine, which ensures delivery, and if a password finds its way into a
log, it's protected.  Of course, I only have a limited number of machines
(10 or so).  And I accept normal syslog on a different socket so that the
Ciscos can still log to it.

        Anyway, I guess my point is that, if you're logging using the
standard syslog stuff, it should work equally well with syslog-ng.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator