Re: editfiles complexity

From: Holger Schurig
Subject: Re: editfiles complexity
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:07:33 +0100

> There is room to rethink this in something
> like the way that you say.

Another are where I want to raise awareness is the level of the editfiles.

For me, the lowest level would just know about flat files.

The next level knows about various forms of comments.

One level higher we would know about various formats of files. For example:

  flat
  shell-like
  ISC-format (like for dhcpd.conf or various Debian Utilities
  Apache-like
  INI-File (like all the KDE stuff)

It would be a tremendous help to do something like this

  { =ini /usr/local/kde/share/config/kickerrc
  SelectGroup "General"
  SetOption CustomSize 26
  }

  { =isc /etc/dhcpd.conf
  SelectGroup /^subnet 172.16.1.0/
  SetOption "option routers" "172.16.1.1"
  SetOption "filename" '"pxelinux"'
  DeleteOption "next-server"
  }

The "isc"-Stuff would know that it has to generate semicolons, e.g.

  option routers 172.16.1.1;
  filename "pxelinux";

--
Try Linux 2.6 from BitKeeper for PXA2x0 CPUs at
http://www.mn-logistik.de/unsupported/linux-2.6/