Re: Resolv.conf being maintained whether I like it or not

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Resolv.conf being maintained whether I like it or not
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:29:21 -0500

I am getting desperate on this one. Cfengine is stepping on my resolv.conf files on my Linux boxes (but not my Suns!) despite the resolve: section being commented out *and* "resolve" being completely removed from the actionsequence. This happens sporadically and randomly; I cannot get it to occur when running cfagent by hand, but it happens every night somewhere between 10pm and 6am (often not at the same time).

Even more strangely, no resolv.conf appears in my repository. It's as if the file is vanishing and cfengine is creating a new one. I've had scripts monitor the file, however, and this is not the case; the resolv.conf is happy and fine until cfengine stomps on it and replaces it with a very bare-bones file (no search path except the host's domain, one DNS).

Any ideas? My users are rioting here.

(I originally sent this to bug-, but am trying again with the help- list instead.)

Chip Seraphine wrote:

In 2.1.15 on Linux:

I'm finding that the resolv.conf is rebuilt even if the "resolve:" action is *not* in the actionsequence. The expected behavior (as per the Reference) would be that the resolve: stuff would be inert if not triggered from actionsequence.