RE: No reliable outputs in 2.1.15 ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: RE: No reliable outputs in 2.1.15 ?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:00:23 -0700

Martin, Jason H wrote:
> David Masterson wrote:
>> I've begun setting up a CFEngine environment here.  I've
>> installed cfengine from RPMs off of Dag Wieers site and that
>> got cfservd, cfenvd, and cfexecd running on the systems at
>> bootup.  I've configured a simple update.conf to copy
>> cfagent.conf and update.conf from the remote master directory
>> to the local "inputs" directory.  I have "force=true" in the
>> copy and I see the copy happening at hourly intervals (the
>> timestamps on the files are updated and .cfsaved files are
>> created).  However, *most* of the time, I do not see a log
>> file being created in the "outputs" directory.

> Try putting in an 'alert' stanza that is always true (such as
> FOO|!FOO).

The assumption here is that I'm trying to make cfengine print out something
during every run which is not what I'm trying to do.  My assumption was that
cfengine would print out something every time it decided it needed to do a
copy (which "force=true" would mandate).

> Also, cfexecd doesn't send any mail unless the output
> differs from the previous run, so you might have to put in a
> shellcommand that echos something to the previous file to make it
> different then the current file.

Hmmm.  Is the fact that cfexecd doesn't send any mail unless the output
differs documented somewhere?

> Also, you wouldn't get copy output unless the source and destination
> is different.

Ah.  Where is this documented?  If that is the assumption, I can go along
with that.  My assumption was that the process for copy would be:

1. Compare source and destination to see if copy is needed (force=true
ignores comparison).
2. If copy is needed, do the copy.
3. If copy was done, report that a copy was done.

--
David Masterson
VMware, Inc.