help-debbugs

Re: Migrating to the latest Debbugs version

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Migrating to the latest Debbugs version
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:06:56 +0100

Felix Lechner via "General discussion for the tracker at
debbugs.gnu.org" <help-debbugs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Felix,

> Here is my plan to migrate debbugs.gnu.org to the latest upstream
> version:
>
> 1. Square 'gnu-reconstruction' branch with what's currently deployed.
> 2. Deploy that branch in a VM running GNU Guix.

Is this VM planned to run in the gnu.org domain? debbugs.gn.org does,
with all the advantagesof being administrated by the FSF sysadmins, like
being responsible for OS updates, reboot if the machine hangs, being
responsible for backups and alike. I believe we must still use the
sysadmins services.

debbugs.gnu.org runs "Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)", and
debbugs2p.gnu.org runs "Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)". An upgrade for
the latter is required, I guess.

> 3. Redirect all HTTP traffic to that VM.
> 4. Migrate email infrastructure to the new VM.

Perhaps you can be in touch with Bob Proulx. He's not happy with exim,
and likely, he's willing to support a modernization here. And he has
also performed many other sysadmin tasks.

> Once that's complete, I'd like to rebase our GNU patches onto the latest
> Debbugs version and then repeat steps 2 to 4.
>
> Kind regards
> Felix

Best regards, Michael.