Re: MSVC project file added to flex

From: Bruce Lilly
Subject: Re: MSVC project file added to flex
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:27:41 -0400

Building and running flex 2.5.4a on a Windows machine is trivial
with the UWIN package (http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/).

It's the usual ./configure ; make ; make install routine.  UWIN
comes with a real shell (ksh), gmake, and the usual contingent
of tools. There's a "cc" front end that invokes the MSVC compiler;
alternatively, you can use gcc, which has been ported to UWIN.

I haven't tried it yet with the latest beta version of flex...

Also, w/o UWIN (or similar packages such as Cygwin), MSVC can
use a Makefile, but MS has made it rather cumbersome to do so.

Wayne Green wrote:
I sometimes build GNU projects with the Microsloth compiler. The main issue with
Microsloth environments is the lack of a ./configure mechanism that the MSDOS
casual programmer can understand. I would recommend including a
config.h.msdos file that meets the MSDOS requirements, in its own directory
and a readme.msdos that says to use it. (A configure.bat file in the
msdos directory might be ok). There are reasonable GNU make program ports
that can be acquired and used, the readme.msdos file might mention
a few places.
[...]