Re: MSVC project file added to flex

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: MSVC project file added to flex
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:47:35 -0400

On Tuesday, 25 June 2002,01:27 -0400, Bruce Lilly wrote:

> Building and running flex 2.5.4a on a Windows machine is trivial
> with the UWIN package (http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/).

I imagine a similar statement can be made about cygwin and the other
popular unix-on-windows environments around.

> I haven't tried it yet with the latest beta version of flex...

To this end, there is a new flex-2.5.8.tar.gz in:

ftp://ftp.uncg.edu/people/wlestes/

This one has all the intermediate build stuff that gave people such
fits when it was just the cvs snapshot. (That is, if "configure; make"
doesn't work for you, I probably want to know.) 2.5.8 is a beta
release I made so I could get the translation project folks to do
another round of updating on the .po files used in i18n/l10n. So the
translations in 2.5.8 are incomplete, but if you're using flex in
english, that won't matter to you.

> Also, w/o UWIN (or similar packages such as Cygwin), MSVC can
> use a Makefile, but MS has made it rather cumbersome to do so.

In that case, I see no need to include files in a proprietary format
for a broken proprietary product. My offer to include a README on the
subject still stands, with the proviso that I will be unable to
maintain such a README file. If MSVC can use makefiles, then it's a
shame that the MSVC developers don't make that process as easy as it
could be.

Thanks to all who contributed to this conversation.

--Will