Re: Chinese characters support

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 01:17:25 +0900 (JST)

Kai wrote:

> Then I typed M-x view-hello-file RET.  This showed me some Chinese
> (and Japanese, and Korean) characters.  If you see empty boxes
> instead of the Chinese characters, then some fonts are missing.

I should be pointed out, nonetheless, that it is a bad idea to
cite the hello file as an example of international script functionality,
since it is set in an encoding that virtually no one ever uses (at least in
the CJK world), and it is quite often the case that that file will display
fine despite the fact that CJK won't work in utf-8 or native East Asian
encodings. Someone should either get rid of that file or save it in a
relevant encoding.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787