Re: Chinese characters support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:43:56 +0300

> Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 02:31:49 +0900 (JST)
> From: Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com>
>
> the HELLO file
> is not a utf-8 file. It is also not a form of JIS or other East Asian
> encoding, so the fact that one can display multilingual scripts by opening
> that file does not mean that they will be able to display them in Big5, JIS,
> or whatever.

It does demonstrate that Emacs can display, read, and write Chinese
characters, Japanese characters, and other characters.  UTF-8 is not
the only way to dio that, and there's lots of other non-trivial
machinery, bot inside Emacs and outside it, that should be set up
correctly for it to be able to display etc/HELLO, even without UTF-8.

> If you check the archives for "utf-8+cjk", you will see that we have had a few
> threads in the past year that dealt with problems trying to display CJK and
> other international scripts, in which the advice was given to look at the
> Hello file.

If you read the archives of this forum (and of gnu.emacs.bug), you
will see that it's been recommended _a_lot_.

> It is not my purpose to badmouth Emacs handling of Unicode.

However, you've actually done precisely that.